Ant Middleton blasts “woke patrol” as he hits out at Channel 4 following exit

Ant Middleton has spoken out following his departure from the Channel 4 SAS Who Dares Wins series.

The former Special Forces soldier claimed the “woke patrol” had become too involved in the creation of the show, giving him no other option but to walk away.


Middleton took aim at the overzealous health and safety regulations that he believed were stifling the authenticity of the show, causing it to become “a half-scripted sort of reality show.”

“Over the years, the PC patrol have kicked in, the woke patrol have kicked in to the point where we can’t say anything, we can’t be ourselves,” the SAS man told Good Morning Britain on Wednesday.

“We can’t even act on the ground without health and safety jumping in going, ‘Oh! You can’t put them in at shoulder level in the water, you’ve got to put them at waist height’ and it’s been so controlled and so managed and so inauthentic now that I’ve decided to completely walk away.”

When the news broke of Middleton’s departure on Tuesday, Channel 4 released a statement saying they would no longer work with him due to his “personal conduct” and that it had “become clear that our views and values are not aligned.”

The Mirror has since reported that the star was “axed by Channel 4 after ‘inappropriate comments’ to female staff” although no specific comments are published.


Responding to these allegations, Middleton said: “It’s like, ‘You’re on SAS: Who Dares Wins. We say inappropriate things, we do inappropriate things. If you get offended by them, then so be it.’

“The course is a hardcore course, it’s gritty, you’re going to see inappropriate things, you’re going to witness inappropriate things, but it’s never direct.”

The ex-serviceman claims Channel 4 knew he was planning on walking away from the show and jumped the gun by bringing up controversy surrounding a tweet Middleton made last year when he referred to Black Lives Matter protestors as “scum”, something he later apologised for.

“[Channel 4] knew I was going, and all of a sudden they dropped this bomb about Black Lives Matter, about been axed,” claimed Middleton.

He took aim at the broadcaster for relying on on “excuses like the BLM tweet” and called their announcement of his departure “desperate”.

The 40 year-old insisted his relationship with Channel 4 and the production team had started off as positive, but he could no longer in good conscience claim the show remained “true to the military ethos” and has opted to move on.

In a social media post on Tuesday, Middleton thanked everyone who “took part and made the show what it is. Really excited about the future and what’s coming this year. Stay positive.”